What is it?
- FreightWaves released air cargo rates and volumes this week. According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), which represents 290 of the world’s airlines, airlines transport over 52 million metric tons of goods a year, representing more than 35% of global trade by value, but less than 1% of trade by volume.
Rates (AIREUR, AIRLOC, AIRUSD)
- SONAR now has rate indices available for 6 major lanes, representing the average price per kilogram. Rate indices are available in the following lanes and ticker symbols:
- Frankfurt Airport to North America - FRANOA
- Frankfurt Airport to Southeast Asia - FRASEA
- Hong Kong Airport to Europe - HKGEUR
- Hong Kong Airport to North America - HKGNOA
- Shanghai Airport to Europe - PVGEUR
- Shanghai Airport to North America - PVGNOA
- Each lane’s rates are available in three currencies: Euros (AIREUR), US Dollars (AIRUSD), and origin country currency (AIRLOC).
- Air cargo volumes–In partnership with Airlines for America (A4A), volume in revenue ton miles is also available in addition to the rates indices. Volumes are offered by all the major U.S. airlines (11) except for Delta and by 4 destination regions, domestic (NAFTA), Latin America (LATAM), Asia-Pacific (APAC), and Europe/Middle East/Africa (EMEA).
Who is interested?
- Transportation Executives and Operations Management
What does it tell me?
- Air transport is certainly a premium service, and as such can be a leading indicator or proxy for certain goods or economic activity.